Tuesday, June 1, 2010

UCLA's Jam Day Was the Ish



Its very rare that I go to a concert and know everyone on the lineup, but UCLA's "Jam" day was truly the shit and custom made for yours truly. I usually visit this outing on their "Reggae" day, but when I saw the show bill, there was no way I could miss the opportunity of seeing these folks live. And what a treat it was. The eventing started out with "Quadron" who I love and from there the show just kept getting better. Georgia Ann Muldrow did her thing with Declaime, The Foreign Exchange (who I was soo glad to finally see live) rocked it out with the lovely Sy Smith in tow, and Bilal was surprisingly blah even though he gave it a good effort. The big joke with him is that I couldn't understand two words that came out of his mouth and the whole thing took on the look and feel of a bad Vegas lounge act. I was surprised to see that Q-tip still has a rather large following as most of the folks seemed clueless to acts other than Bilal and Q-tip. Tip did his thing though and I really appreciated that he took it back to the "Tribe Called Quest" Days....if Phife Dawg and Ali Shaheed Muhammad pop on stage with Q-Tip then I could have died a happy man on Sunday. I love the generally low key-ness about the event and everything was far more organized that i remember making it a great day for sun and live music in LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin