Friday, March 12, 2010

Things to Do and People To See: LA Art Walk


On any given day, my cultural enrichment is pretty much reduced to noticing how much the demographics change from one end of Pico to the other, but every once in a while I'll be heading home from my usual route on Pico or Olympic going east and end up in Downtown LA to witness a flurry of sound and excitement. This is the LA Art Walk and sadly, I have only been able to witness as a spectator on my journey south to more familiar parishes. But what an excitement it is as hordes of people cram into small galleries and journey on foot (gasp!!) to check out all that the LA Art Walk has to offer.

The Downtown Art Walk began in September 2004 and has grown enormously since, with many thousands of people attending every month. Participants in the Downtown Art Walk are the more than 40 galleries and museums located throughout the central downtown area, within the walkable districts between the Grand Avenue / Disney Hall / MOCA, Little Tokyo, the Financial District, and centered around Gallery Row on Main and Spring Streets in the Historic Core. Most venues are open at least 12-9PM, but some may open later than 12PM or close earlier than 9PM; specific exceptions are listed next to each venue on the map (I stole this from their website).

The Art Walk takes place every 2nd Thursday of the Month and I'm mad I didn't create this post yesterday, because then I would have made a point of going. As a creative individual, I am a big lover of art or really just being able to appreciate how other people express themselves artistically. Visiting places as such use to be a staple in my life. Somehow, I believe this is an area I need to revisit. But for the time being, put it on the calendar as a LA To do. More post like this to come!!!!

for more information on the LA Art Walk please visit www.downtownartwalk.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin