Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I LOVE YOU ATLANTA!!! - Atlanta has the sweetest people I have ever met in my life




So for those of you that didn't know...I'm just getting back from Atlanta with the Mrs. and man, I don't know if it was the need to get out of the craziness of LA or the need to get out of the craziness of LA but I loved the hell out of this city. On the plane ride back to LA...a southern sounding gentleman popped up upon the planes taxi to proclaim that LA was a placed that he liked, but he felt didn't like him back. I sat silently and smiled...for he is absolutely true. But I would have to say that I loved Atlanta and it made sure to love me back as well. Southern geniality is an understatement as everyone was so welcoming...so hospitable being there was a breath of fresh air. There are tons of people I need to thank. First of all to the Hyatt staff....you guys were incredible....thank you so so much for taking care of us so well while we were in your company. When we first arrived at the hotel we didn't have any cash and this mad dope old cat was helping us out and we couldn't tip him at the time, but he was sure there our last day out and I made sure to take care of him. To the autoport staff to the bellhops...you guys were soo cool and mad dope!!!

To the Natives: Your smiles and waves and hellos made my days.....I've never been anyplace where people didn't have reservations about striking up conversations with strangers and man...you guys made me feel the most welcome. I loved your smiles and just generally your spirits.

To all of Kat's friends in the A: You guys were soo amazing and made me feel more welcome than I can properly convey. Of course, I received a whole lot of joy in seeing the woman I love through your eyes and I can tell that you guys have so much love for her as well. The time we all spend together added so much texture to my experience there. Thanks for all the laughs, beer belches, smiles, and stamps of approval. I love you guys.

To Emory University: Eh, your campus is alright...but its no Loyola Marymount University...haha

To MLK's old Stomping Ground: I really didn't think I would be affected upon seeing your humble beginnings, but it did beg the question - "Why are all MLK related areas so disenfranchised". I must admit, I was deeply affected upon seeing MLK's birthplace and the stacks and how Auburn street went from a progressive neighborhood to what is is today, but what is still evident in its archetecture and walls is a spirit of prosperity. Of where we came from and what can be.

To Downtown: I must admit when I first saw you, you looked and reminded me a lot of Los Angeles, but upon being acclimated with your streets and alleys it was clear that your beauty is undeniable and your history prevalent. Centennial park...I loved you too. Your quirky pancake athon made me smile and watching kids play in the olympic rings fountain/pool warmed my spirit.

To Diversity: The Thing that I was most struck by in this city was how diverse it was....and I don't mean just socially, but economically as well. The mix of people from all walks of life really really made me appreciate the city. The only place I had ever seen vanilla looking business dudes sitting with rapper types and just chillin was in NY so I was happy to see that this type of mash up seems to exists all over the east coast.

To Katrina: I know the weekend was busy and hectic, but thank you so so much for allowing me to see a glimpse into your life there. It made me appreciate, love, and understand you in ways that I can't even put into words. There is a lot of love for you in the A and I was honored that I was a part of your homecoming there.

Needless to say, I must go back....there are still some folks I need to see and I have yet to experience the night life there (believe me though, I wasn't missing it while I was there), but even looking at this photo on the post, it brings a huge smile to my face. Atlanta, thank you so so much for making this western raised southern boy's weekend and baby, thank you so much for being an excellent tour guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin